A list of Titanic passengers who were known or likely to be pregnant at the time of the sinking and a list of male passengers and crew who became fathers posthumously.
Passengers that were pregnant on the Titanic
- Madeleine Astor - son John Jacob Astor jr born 14 August 1912
- Maria Mathilda Backström - daughter Alfhild Maria born June 1912
- Ethel Beane - a stillborn child was born 13 January 1913
- Helen Bishop - son Randall Walton Bishop born 8 December 1912, died 2 days later
- Catherine Bourke - according to local folklore
- Mary Corey - died in the sinking
- Argene Del Carlo - daughter Maria Salvata born on 14 November 1912
- Ada Doling - possibly... daughter Ida born 30 January 1913
- Miriam Kantor - possibly... a "direct descendant" of the apparently childless couple later sold a pocket watch belonging to her husband
- Clare Karnes - possibly... died in the sinking
- Marion Kenyon - was pregnant, but later miscarried
- Juliette Laroche - son Joseph LeMercier Laroche, Jr. born 17 December 1912
- Mary Marvin - daughter Mary Margaret "Peggy" born October 1912
- Adāl Naṣr Allāhh - son born 9 December 1912 but died shortly after
- Hannah O'Brien - daughter Marion born 3 September 1912
- Kate Phillips - daughter Ellen Mary born January 1913
- Mary Eloise Smith - son Lucian Philip Smith II born 29 November 1912
- Ada West - daughter Edwyna Joan West born 14 September 1912
Titanic victims who became fathers posthumously.
- William Thomas Abrams - daughter Nancy born late 1912 (died 1915)
- Joseph Akerman - son Joseph born December 1912
- Albert Kaurin Andersen - daughter Albertha born December 1912
- Frank Thomas Andrew - daughter Clara born 11 October 1912
- Henry Ashe - daughter Gladys May born later in 1912
- John Jacob Astor - son John Jacob Astor jr born 14 August 1912
- Edwin George Ayling - daughter Edna Rosina born September 1912
- Frederick Banfield - son Frederick James born 15 November 1912
- Henry Brewer - son Harry Marks Brewer born 6 July 1912
- Richard Edward Burke - son Richard Edmund born July 1912
- August Carlsson - son Karl August born 19 September 1912
- Sebastiano Del Carlo - daughter Maria Salvata born on 14 November 1912
- Harry Coe - son George Arthur born 5 October 1912
- Albert Edward Coleman - son George born late 1912
- Albert Hector Crisp - daughter Minnie Kathleen Joan born 29 June 1912
- George William Evans - daughter Audrey Isobel born 24 December 1912
- Henry Charles Fairall - son Charles Anthony born and died later in 1912
- Hugh Joseph Fitzpatrick - daughter Rose born October 1912
- Alan Vincent Franklin - daughter Blanche born later in 1912
- Henry Hart - son Henry born later in 1912
- Richard William Hosgood - son Richard William born later in 1912
- John Law Hume - Fiance Mary Costin was pregnant at the time of his death
- John Jackopson - son John born later in 1912 (died a few months later)
- Harry Owen G. Jones - son Arthur born October 1912
- James Keegan - son Frederick Ernest born on 8 October 1912
- Andrew Latimer - daughter Janet born 1912
- David Livshin - son David born 3 September 1912
- Emilio Mangiavacchi - daughter Maria Emilia born later in 1912.
- Daniel Marvin - daughter Mary Margaret "Peggy" born October 1912
- Frank Hubert Maybery - daughter Nancy born December 1912
- William Peter Mayo - daughter Evaline born and died later in 1912
- Arthur Herbert Morgan - daughter Mary born late 1912
- Henry Samuel Morley - his daughter Ellen Mary was born in January 1913
- William Moss - Daughter Wilhelmina Frances born late 1912.
- William McQuilan - daughter Gertrude Willelmina born 20 November 1912.
- Niqūlā Khalīl Naṣr Allāh - son born 9 December 1912 but died shortly after
- Thomas O Brien - daughter Marion Columba born September 1912
- Karl Olsen - son Charles Ernest born shortly before or just after the disaster. The child died, tragically, 16 May 1912.
- Arthur Paintin - son Arthur James born July 1912
- William James Pitfield - daughter Haidee Doris born late 1912 (died 1913)
- Gilbert Rimmer - son Leslie Charles born 29 May 1912
- Matti Rintamäki - son Eino Aatos (his eleventh child) born on 12 November 1912
- William John Rogers son William Morgan born to Rogers' estranged wife Elizabeth 13 September 1912
- Alfred G. Rowe - son Alfred born late 1912
- Thomas Ryan - daughter Gladys born and died later in 1912
- Giovanni Giuseppe Emilio Saccaggi - daughter Beatrice Grace born 29 November 1912
- Sidney Conrad Siebert - daughter Constance Winifred on 18 November 1912
- William Simmons - daughter Theresa born late 1912
- Sidney Francis Sedunary - son Sidney born November 1912
- William McMillan Small - son William born later in 1912
- Lucian Smith - son Lucian Philip born November 1912
- Joseph Wakefield Thomas - son William Charles Thomas Joseph born later in 1912
- Edwy Arthur West - Edwyna Joan born September 1912
- Leslie Williams - son Harold born 25 July 1912
- Samuel Solomon Williams - son Sam born c.September 1912
- William Aubrey Willsher - son William born July 1912
- James Robert Wyeth - his daughter Gladys only lived to her eleventh year and died in 1923
- George Rheims' - wife Marie gave birth to their son George Loring Rheims on 29 July 1912 in Paris.
- Joseph Wheat - son John born 29 November 1912
If you are aware of people that should be added to the list join the discussion thread about those pregnant or conceived on the Titanic...:
I know that Mrs. Astor was pregnant on the ship. What happened to her baby. Were any of the other women pregnant and what happened to their babies? [See The unborn babies of the Titanic for a list of those Titanic passengers that were pregnant on the Titanic and Titanic victims who became fathers posthumously.]
Please contact me personally regarding this. Thanks Cameron Bell
Mrs Astor's son, John Jacob Astor VI (Jack Astor's brother, William, had the fifth John Jacob) was close to his mother. When she died, she left him nothing, feeling that the £600,000/$3,000,000 bond his father left him was ample enough. He always felt cheated after that, so he dropped the 'VI' from his name and was simply known from then on as John Astor. A little greedy, would you not agree? His obituary and, I think, death certificate (provided by Phillip Gowan) is in Mrs Astor's biography. I hope this is of some help to you (sources are Judith B. Geller's book, 'Titanic: Women and Children First').
And a correction to the statement of William being John Jacob Astor IV's brother; he was his cousin.
I posted this message in another area, so I don't know if anyone will see it. I know Kate F. Phillips had a child that was possibly conceived on the voyage. Does anyone know the name of the other woman who had a child that was possibly conceived on the Titanic? Thanks for any info...
It is possible it was Helen W. Bishop. Their son was born in December of 1912 and died within two days.
There was another possibility. Edward and Ethel Beane both survived the sinking and Ethel gave birth to a stillborn son on January 10, 1913, exactly 9 months from Titanic's launch date.
Were there any honeymooners on board?
That's another subject, but FYI, if you go back to the main page and type in honeymoon in the Find box, you'll find your message and quite a few others.
I know Mrs. Astor was pregnant, but is there any listing of who else might have been? Or if any babies were conceived while on board the Titanic?
There are two people known today whose mothers were pregnant with them en voyage: Maria Salvata Del Carlo and Ellen Mary (Betty) Phillips. Hope this helps!
Don't forget Mrs Backstrom.
Another woman 'with child' was 2nd Class passenger Mary (Mayme) Corey,
Robert Bracken and Michael Findlay wrote an article entitled "Titanic's very youngest survivors" in the Titanic International periodical "Voyage," issue 27 in the winter of 1998. You could probably still buy a copy of that back issue through their website. They list eleven woman who were pregnant: In First Class: 1-Madeleine Astor, who gave birth to John Jacob Astor V; 2-Helen Bishop, who gave birth to a boy on December 9, 1912, but he died the next day; 3-Marion Kenyon, who lost her child; 4-Mary Farquharson Marvin, who had a daughter named Margaret; 5-Eloise Smith, who delivered a son on November 29, 1912, named for his father Lucian Smith. In Second Class: 6-Kate Phillips, who gave birth to Ellen Mary Walker on January 11, 1913; 7-Argene Genovesi Del Carlo, who had her daughter Maria Salvata Del Carlo on November 14, 1912; 8-Juliette Laroche, whose son Joseph Lemercier Laroche, was born on December 17, 1912; 9-Adele Nasser, whose baby died shortly after birth in