Fourteen passengers boarded the RMS Titanic on Thursday, April 11, 1912 in Queenstown, County Cork for New York City. They were all from the Lahardane area of County Mayo. It also appears that many of them were related, some closely, some more distantly. There is much in common with the maiden names of the mothers of many of these people traveling together and from the same area in County Mayo. The maiden names of the mothers of the survivors and deceased include the same names as the people who boarded the Titanic that day, such as:
|Surname||Titanic Passengers Associated With The Surname|
|Kelly||Anna Katherine Kelly Patrick Canavan|
|Mayock||Annie Kate Kelly (through her grandmother) Katherine McGowan Anna McGowan (through her grandmother)|
|Canavan||Patrick Canavan, Mary Canavan James Flynn|
|Flynn||James Flynn Mary Canavan|
|McGowan||Katherine McGowan Anna McGowan Catherine McHugh Bourke Bridget Delia McDermott (through her aunt)|
|McDermott||Bridget Delia McDermott|
|Bourke||John Bourke Catherine McHugh Bourke Mary Bourke Mary Mangan|
The duplications of names is interesting, as it highlights the inter relationships of the community in County Mayo.
- John and Catherine McHugh Bourke were husband and wife married January 17, 1911. Mary Bourke was John’s sister. On April 14, 1912, the day the RMS Titanic sunk, John and Catherine Bourke had been married a little under 15 months. Catherine McHugh Bourke was related to Katherine McGowan as Catherine’s mother or grandmother was a McGowan.
- Katherine McGowan was related to Annie Kate Kelly. As far as can be determined, it was probably through her maternal grandmother Bridget Mayock who may have been a sister of Annie Kate’s Mayock grandmother. Anna McGowan must have also been distantly related to the Kelly’s.
- Mary Canavan and Patrick Canavan were first cousins.
- Patrick Canavan was also a cousin (possibly a second cousin on the Kelly side) to Annie Kate, as Patrick’s mother was Bridget Kelly, possibly a cousin of Annie Kate’s father John Kelly. Patrick Canavan was born in September 1890. Annie Kate was born January 17, 1892, making Patrick a little over a year older than Annie Kate and the cousin she looked up at standing at the railing of the Titanic as she was lowered in the lifeboat.
- Mary Mangan may have been related to the Bourke’s, as her mother was Bridget Bourke.
- James Flynn was related to the Kelly’s and the Canavan’s. His mother was Ann Canavan. How he was related to Annie Kate Kelly is not clear.
A summary of information on the fourteen passengers from Lahardane, County Mayo, Ireland.
|Lahardane, County Mayo Passengers Traveling Together on the RMS Titanic|
|Bourke, Mary||41||No||Carrowskehine, County Mayo||3rd||Sister of John Bourke Sister-in-law to Catherine Bourke|
|Bourke, John||43||No||Carrowskehine, County Mayo||3rd||Husband of Catherine Bourke Brother of Mary Bourke|
|Bourke, Catherine McHugh||32||No||Tawnagh, County Mayo||3rd||Wife of John Bourke|
|Canavan, Patrick||21||No||Knockmaria, Lahardane, County Mayo||3rd||1st Cousin of Mary Canavan Cousin of Anna Katherine Kelly|
|Canavan, Mary||21||No||Tonacrick, Lahardane, County Mayo||3rd||1st Cousin of Patrick Canavan|
|Donohoe, Bridget||21||No||Cum, Lahardane, County Mayo||3rd|
|Fleming, Honora||24||No||Lahardane, County Mayo||3rd|
|Flynn, James||28||No||Cuilkillew, County Mayo||3rd||Related to the Kelly’s Related to the Canavan’s|
|Kelly, Anna Katherine||20||Yes||Cuilmullagh, County Mayo||3rd||1st Cousin of Patrick Canavan Cousin of James Flynn|
|Mahon, Delia||20||No||Derrymartin, County Mayo||3rd|
|Mangan, Mary||32||No||Carrowskehine, County Mayo||3rd|
|McDermott, Bridget Delia||31||Yes||Lahardane, County Mayo||3rd|
|McGowan, Ann||14||Yes||Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA||3rd||Niece of Katherine McGowan|
|McGowan, Katherine||42||No||Lahardane, County Mayo||3rd||Aunt of Anna McGowan Related to the Kelly’s|
Related Biographies:John Bourke
Anna Katherine Kelly
Bridget Delia Mahon
Bridget Delia McDermott
Anna Louise McGowan