The steamer Algerine
1 was the last of four ships chartered
by the White Star Line to search for bodies in the aftermath of the sinking. The
Algerine was a cargo and passenger ship (and part-time sealer) originally built
by Harland and Wolff and owned by Bowring Brothers Limited of St. John's, Newfoundland.
She sailed under the command of Captain John Jackman
2. Also aboard
were chief officer Richard B. Giles
3 and undertakers Andrew Carnell
4 and a Mr. Lawrence
5. There is no record of any clergy
The Algerine left St. John's on Thursday, 16 May 1912 and while her search persisted for three weeks, recovered only one body, that of Saloon Steward James McGrady (Body number 330). His remains were brought back to St. John's on 6 June and trans-shipped to Halifax aboard the steamer Florizel.
Public Archives of Nova Scotia
Alan Ruffman (1999) Titanic Remembered: The Unsinkable Ship and Halifax. Formac Publishing Company Ltd., Halifax ISBN 0-88780-467-5
Alan Ruffman (2001) Personal Communication. Timetable and Details of the Five Trips of Canadian Vessels to the R. M.S. Titanic Loss Area. 23 July revision, 2pp.
John P. Eaton & Charles A. Haas (2000) Titanic: A Journey Through Time.
John P. Eaton & Charles A. Haas (1994) Titanic: Triumph & Tragedy, 2nd ed. Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1 85260 493 X
Earl Chapman, USA
Bob Knuckle, Canada
Alan Ruffman, Canada
Garry Shutlak, Canada
|Bodies recovered by the Algerine: 1|
|Crew whose previous ship was the Algerine: 0|
|ARTICLE: ALGERINE PICKS UP ONE TITANIC VICTIM|