Mr James Albert Avery (Trimmer) was born at 25 Winchester Street in St Mary, Southampton, Hampshire, England on 3 September 1891.
He was the son of James Avery (1860-1929), a plasterer, and Agnes Wilkins (1867-1934), Hampshire natives of Romsey and Southampton respectively who had married in 1887.
One of five surviving children out of a total of eight, Avery's known siblings were: Frederick Thomas (1890-1904), William Henry (1893-1955), Agnes Elise (1897-1970, later Mrs William Noyce), Beatrice Louisa (1899-1976, later Mrs Alfred Holloway) and Winifred Ellen (1910-1996, later Mrs Henry Spicer).
In the months prior to his birth Avery's family had been recorded on the 1891 census residing at 25 Winchester Street; he would first appear on the 1901 census living with his family at 17 Woodside Road, Portswood, Southampton. By the time of the 1911 census the family had relocated to 122 Earl's Road, Southampton but James was not listed at the time, presumably at sea.
When he signed-on to the Titanic on 6 April 1912 Avery gave his address as 122 Earl's Road, Southampton. His previous ship had been the Oceanic and as a trimmer he received monthly wages of £5, 10.
Avery survived the sinking probably in lifeboat 15.
James Avery returned to England and continued working at sea. He never married and continued living at the same Earl's Road address for the rest of his short life. Despite his young age Avery suffered a stroke whilst at work, resulting in him collapsing and causing further injury which hastened his death. He passed away in the Shirley Warren Infirmary on 17 December 1915 aged 24 and was buried in Southampton's Old Cemetery; a simple wooden cross was later erected, its inscription reading:
James Frank Avery
Died December 1915
Survived the Titanic