Mr Charles Essex Edwards was born in St Martin, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, Wales over the summer months of 1862.
He was the son of John Edwards (b. 1829), a grocer, and Harriet Devonald (b. 1823), both Pembrokeshire-natives of Haverfordwest and Letterston, respectively, who had married in Haverfordwest on 14 October 1851.
Charles, the second child to bear his name, had eight siblings: William (b. 1853), Mary Jane (b. 1854), William Devonald (b. 1855), George Phillips (b. 1857), John Arthur (b. 1859), Charles Essex (1861-1861), Harry Owen (b. 1864) and Frederick Howard (b. 1867).
Charles grew up in St Martin's Place in Haverfordwest and would be listed there on the 1871 to 1881 census records with his family and by the time of the latter census he was described as a carpenter.
He later left Wales and joined the Fourth Dragoon Guards on 24 June 1884 in London. Described as standing at 5' 9" and weighing 131 lbs; he had dark brown hair, grey eyes and a fresh complexion. Serving as a private up until May 1891 he later transferred to the Army Reserve before his discharge in June 1896 following a twelve year service. When he went to sea is not clear.
He was married in Newport, Wales on 17 April 1892 to Lavinia Ann Poulter (b. 1864), who was born in Llanstadwell, Pembrokeshire, the daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Poulter, the latter née Finch. Lavinia's father was formerly a railway passenger guard and she seemingly continued to live with him at Railway Terrace in Neyland, Pembrokeshire throughout her marriage and was listed at that street on both the 1901 and 1911 census returns. Charles was absent from both records, perhaps at sea. Both Charles and Lavinia would have no children of their own.
When he signed-on to the Titanic on 4 April 1912 Edwards gave his local address as 7 Brunswick Square, Southampton. His previous ship had been the Zeeland and as an assistant pantry steward he received monthly wages of £3, 15s.2
Charles Edwards died in the sinking. His body, if recovered, was never identified.
His widow spent her final days living in London; she died in a nursing home in Hayes, Middlesex on 15 June 1934 and was buried four days later in Havelock Norwood Cemetery, London.