Frank Long was born in Southampton, Hampshire, England on 17 November 1880. He was the son of George Oliver Long (1851-1911) and Fanny Hayes (1854-1929). His father was a native of Redlynch, Wiltshire and his mother of Eling, Hampshire. They had married on June 25, 1872 in Southampton.
On the 1881 census the family reside at 15 Queen Street, St Mary, Southampton. Frank's father is described as a general labourer. Present also are his siblings George (b. 1875), Louisa Fanny (b. 1879) and William (b. 1876). They moved several doors down to 29 Queen Street by the time of the 1891 census and have welcomed more children: Jane (b. 1884) and Arthur Alfred Charles (b. 1888). Another move has occurred by the time of the 1901 census, with the family living at 6 Hill Street. Frank is absent, apparently working at sea.
Frank was married to Annie Sword (b. 1884 in Southampton) on December 26, 1902 in Southampton and their first child, Arthur Frank Long, was born exactly one year later; another child would die in infancy. On the 1911 census Frank and his family are living at 2 Browns Cottages, Bevois Valley, Southampton and Frank is described as a coal porter.
When Frank signed-on to the Titanic, on 6 April 1912, he gave his address as 19 Sidford Street, Southampton. His last ship had been the Olympic. As a trimmer he received monthly wages of £5 10. His brother William also worked as a trimmer on the Titanic.
Long died in the sinking. His body, if recovered, was never identified.
Frank's widow Annie was remarried in early-1915 to William Stone. She died on October 28, 1918 aged 34. His son Arthur Frank was married in 1930 to Ethel Lily Clara Roberts and they had two children. He died in Southampton in 1961.
Link and cite this biography
(2016) Frank Long Encyclopedia Titanica (ref: #1561, accessed 26th September 2016 03:19:22 AM)
URL : //www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-victim/f-long.html
Let us know if you spot an error or want to add new information about Frank Long.
Leave a comment