Francis Ernest George Coy

Francis Coy

Francis Ernest George Coy was born in Thetford, Norfolk, England in the second quarter of 1885.

He was the son of Francis George Coy (1857-1906) and Ada Jane Witherford (1858-1904). His father, a tool maker and machine fitter, was originally from Stretham, Cambridgeshire and was married to his Birmingham-born wife Ada in Norfolk in 1884. The couple had a further three children (that are known of) besides Francis: Mabel Piggott (b. 1889), Ivy Mary (b. 1893) and Edna Marion (b. 1895).

The family were living at Station Road, Thetford on the 1891 census but would later up and move to Portsmouth, Hampshire, appearing there on the 1901 census at 54 Farmer's Road. Francis' father was now using his engineering expertise in the dockyards and Francis himself had followed in his footsteps and was described as an engine fitter's apprentice and he served his time in the Portsmouth docks alongside his father. Both his parents died within only a few years of each other.

After completing his apprenticeship he joined the White Star Line, being appointed sixth engineer on the Oceanic in August 1907, and later being promoted to fifth and then assistant fourth engineer and served on board Olympic.

Francis was married in Southampton in the latter months of 1911 to Beatrice Elizabeth May Bridges (b. 1878), a native of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk and who was described as a bookkeeper on the 1911 census whilst living with her parents Mr and Mrs William Bridges at 32 Oxford Avenue, Southampton.

When he signed on to the Titanic, on 6 April 1912, Francis gave his address as 134 Portswood Road, (Southampton) and his previous ship as the Olympic. As Junior Assistant 3rd Engineer Francis could expect monthly wages of £11, 10s.

Francis died in the sinking; his body, if recovered, was never identified.

His widow Beatrice remained a widow for over twenty years before she was remarried in late-1933 to James H. Cox. She spent her last days living in Worthing, Sussex and died on 8 April 1951.

Francis is remembered on a stone in Kensico cemetery Valhalla, New York.

Newspaper Articles

Cambridge Independent Press (26 April 1912) Mr. F. E. G. Coy


Francis Ernest George Coy
Portrait of Francis Coy

Documents and Certificates

Mansion House Titanic Relief Fund (6)

Graves and Memorials

Search archive online

Comment and discuss

Reply Watch Thread


Trevor Baxter, UK
Gavin Bell, UK
Dave Fredericks, UK
Brian J. Ticehurst, UK
Denis Griffiths, UK

Link and cite this biography

Encyclopedia Titanica (2020) Francis Ernest George Coy (ref: #1451, last updated: 5th January 2020, accessed 23rd July 2021 20:09:25 PM)

Discover More

Join the Encyclopedia Titanica Community (22k)     Join the Encyclopedia Titanica Facebook Group (12.5k)