George Milford was born in Ryde, Isle of Wight, Hampshire in mid-1884. He was the son of William Milford (1855-1925), a gardener, and Harriett Bamsey (1851-1929). Both his parents hailed from Devonshire and they had married in Exeter in 1872.
George had seven known siblings: Eliza Ellen (b. 1875), William James (b. 1877), Albert Edward (b. 1879), Florence Maud (b. 1882), John Thomas (b. 1887), Annie Louisa (b. 1890) and Charles Frederick (b. 1894).
He first appears on the 1891 census living at 3 Meaders Yard (?), Oakfield, Hampshire but would relocate to Ryde by the time of the 1901 census, then living at 37 Albert Street and with a 16-year-old George described as a general labourer.
George was married in Southampton in early 1909 to Florence Jane Ada Rance (b. 23 February 1882 in Southampton). When the 1911 census was conducted George was absent but his wife was living at 3 Graham Street, Northam, Southampton, a Post Office, with her mother and siblings. The records indicated that Florence had two children, both living, but who weren't included with her at that address (1).
When he signed-on to the Titanic, on 6 April 1912 George gave his address as 3 Graham Street, (Southampton). His last ship had been the Olympic. As a fireman, he received monthly wages of £6.
George Milford was lost in the Titanic disaster. His body, if recovered, was never identified.
His widow Florence was remarried in Southampton in 1915 to Edwin George Spanner (1884-1947) and they had two daughters. She died in Southampton in 1978 aged 96.
George is remembered on the Titanic memorial board formerly at St. Augustine's Church, Southampton; now in the safekeeping of the Southampton Maritime Museum.