Mr Samuel Solomon Williams was born in Southampton, Hampshire, England in late 1884.
He was the son of Richard Williams (1851-1920), a brewery labourer and later a dock stevedore, and Rebecca Boyley (1850-1921), natives of Wiltshire and Southampton respectively who had married in Southampton on 2 February 1873.
One of nine children, Samuel's siblings were: Richard John (b. 1873), William (b. 1875), Elizabeth (b. 1878), Emma (b. 1880), Albert (b. 1882), Edward (b. 1883), Bertram (b. 1888) and Harold (b. 1889).
Samuel first appears on the 1891 census living at 4 Cement Terrace, All Saints, Southampton and would have moved to 1 St George's Place in that city by the time of the 1901 census. At that time he had already left school and was working as a boiler sealer. He would be absent from the 1911 census but his parents and several siblings were listed as living at 5 Charlotte Court, Charlotte Street, Southampton.
When he signed-on to the Titanic at Southampton on 6 April 1912 Williams used his brother's pay book (he had been banned from sailing due to an altercation while on board ship). His previous ship had been the Olympic and as a fireman, he could expect monthly wages of £6.
Samuel Williams died in the sinking and his body, if recovered, was never identified.
His parents received financial aid from the Titanic relief fund, case number 265, as class G dependents.
Sam Williams, who was unmarried, left behind a pregnant girlfriend1 who five months after the sinking gave birth to a son and named him Sam1. The child's mother went to court and produced affidavits from surviving Titanic crew members saying that 'Sam Williams had been on board'; the Mansion House Fund accepted the Courts decision and paid out the appropriate pensions to the girl and the child.
WILLIAMS--In loving memory of my dear daddy, Samuel S. Williams. From his little son Sam. - Hampshire Independent, 17 April 1915
WILLIAMS--In ever loving and affectionate remembrance of Samuel, the dearly loved son of Richard and Rebecca Williams, Fireman. - Hampshire Independent, 17 April 1915