Mr Thomas Benjamin Kirkaldy (T. Clark) was born on 9 August 1876 in St James, London, England.
He was the son of Robert Alexander Kirkaldy (1854-1901) and Sarah Davies (b. 1852), natives of Surrey and Cardiganshire respectively who had married in London in 1874. He had one known sibling, his younger sister Catherine Emily Victoria (b. 1878).
By the time of the 1881 census the family were living at 40 Jermyn Street, Westminster. His father was described as a club steward and the family appears to be a moderately comfortable one with at least two servants in their employ.
Thomas had left home by the time of the 1891 census and was working as a bar tender and boarding at the Savage Club at 6-7 Adelphi Terrace, St Martin's, London.
He was married in Liverpool on 8 June 1899 1 to Martha Anne Price (b. 1874 in Liverpool); his profession was listed as a mariner and address as 154 Leopold Road, Liverpool. He would serve for several years aboard Majestic and several crew lists from between 1898 and 1901 show that even then he was signing aboard as "T. Clark(e)."
By the time of the 1901 census Kirkaldy and his wife still resided at 154 Leopold Road, although Thomas absent during this time, presumably away at sea. By the time of the 1911 census Thomas and his wife had a son, Frank Alexander, who had been born on 13 March 1904, and they had relocated to Hampshire and were living at Seftonmount, Hillside Avenue, Bitterne, Southampton. Thomas was described as a steward.
When he signed-on to the Titanic, on 4 April 1912, he gave his address as Hillside Avenue. His previous ship had been the Olympic and as a 1st class bedroom steward he received monthly wages of £3, 15s. Again he signed on as "T. Clark".
Thomas Kirkaldy died in the sinking. His body, if recovered, was never identified.
Thomas' widow never remarried and died in Trowbridge, Wiltshire in 1961 aged 86. His son Frank later married in 1933 to a lady named Elizabeth Sarah Admans (1897-1986); in his younger years he had lived for a number of years in Venezuela. He died in 1986, also in Trowbridge.