Mr Thomas Patrick McAndrew was born 11 March 1874,1 in Liverpool, the son of William (born 1843, a dock labourer) and Mary Ellen Walker (born c.1844) who were married on 19 August 1861 in Liverpool. Thomas was baptised on 5 April 1874 at St Mary's Catholic Church. He had eight brothers and sisters.2
His mother died when he was 8 years old, and his father later remarried. Thomas was mainly brought up by a spinster aunt together with his younger brother and sister.
His adult life has been the subject of some speculation.3
When he signed on for the Titanic on 6 April 1912, he gave his address as the Sailors' Home, Southampton. His previous ship had been the Pomaron4.
McAndrew died in the sinking, his body was not recovered.
- Date given by family member. Some researchers give his birthdate as 1 April 1874. His birth was registered in the 2nd quarter of 1874.
- 8 according to family sources. 6 have been identified: William (b. Liverpool 1862, later an able seaman), Sarah Ann (b. Liverpool 1864), Jane (b. Liverpool 1868), Michael P. (b. Liverpool 1876), Mary Ellen (b. Liverpool 1879), Martha (b. Liverpool 1881).
- A Thomas McAndrew, whose age and profession (Fireman) bear similarities to the Titanic victim, was detained in Cardiff Prison in 1911 having been convicted of stealng a purse. This event followed a string of similar misdemeanors (1,2) in Liverpool and elsewhere dating back several years. It has not been firmly established that this is the same person as the Titanic Fireman; further research is ongoing to establish his identity.
- When he signed onto the Pomaron in November 1911 he gave his addresss as 29 Torbock Street, Liverpool. On 2 February 1912 The Pomaron was in collision with the Alleghany. The latter was sunk as a result.
- Mark Morin has written a fictionalised short story The Belly of the Beast about Thomas McAndrew and the sinking of the titanic from the perspective of the 'black gang'
Link and cite this biography
(2017) Thomas Patrick McAndrew Encyclopedia Titanica (ref: #1575, accessed 20th January 2017 06:24:21 PM)
URL : //www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-victim/thomas-mcandrew.html
Let us know if you spot an error or want to add new information about Thomas Patrick McAndrew.
Leave a comment