Pierre Marechal

My daughter, whose last name is now different from mine, believes she may be related to the Pierre Marechal listed in the first class passenger list. She is trying to find out more about him and what happened to him after the Titanic. Her last name is spelled Marichal. If you have more facts about him, please send them to my email address. Many Thanks!

Carol Fletez
Maryland

Does anyone have information on Pierre Marechal's further whereabouts after the disaster? Please send any details as to when and where he died.

Thanks

Cameron Bell

Did Pierre Maréchal ever let a decent account of his experiences on the Titanic in the family? If so, do you know if the account was published? I would be very interested to read it. Much appreciated.

Charles

I have just registered on this website today and have not yet discovered many of its treasures, so forgive me if this query has been asked elsewhere, but.....
Was the surviving passenger Pierre Marechal (described as "an aviator") any relation to (or indeed could he possibly have been..) the driver of the Aston Martin which crashed in the 1949 Le Mans 24 Hour Race in June 1949 and who died in hospital shortly afterwards??
Can anyone help?

bob

I came across the above post which I made on my debut back in July 2001 and thought it looked a bit lonely, having had no replies.
sad.gif

I've tried to track down Monsieur Marechal on some aviation websites, but without any success. I wonder if anyone could point me towards any evidence that he was, in fact, an aviator. Was this just something which he claimed in conversation with other passengers or do we know it to be true?

cheers,

bob

Oh, and just a quick afterthought to the above...

I'd like to thank Phil Gowan who was able to confirm (in a private e-mail) that M. Marechal was NOT the driver of the racing car mentioned in the first post above.

bob

Some remarks about Pierre Maréchal's biography
In 2011 the Association Française du Titanic published a book about the French on board Titanic (Les Français du Titanic, Marine Editions). For the preparation of this work two of us had been in contact with Christian Maréchal, Pierre's grandson.
1 - Christian affirmed that his parents weren't married; they lived together as a couple for several years, probably until Pierre left London for Paris in the early 30s.
2 - Pierre did not serve in the French military during the 1st world war. The reason is he had previously suffered a leg fracture and was medically unfit for military service. So he cannot have been a prisoner in Germany with Roland Garros. The aviator who escaped from a German camp with Garros was Anselme Marchal (another person).
François Codet

Back