EJ Smith at Madame Tussauds

Hi!

I have read in the German Edition from Stephen Spignesi "The Complete Titanic" that in May 1912 a wax figure of E.J. Smith was presented at MAdame Tussaud in London. Ten Years later this figure is destroyed by fire. - Is this right? (i read it the first time) - has anyone more informations about this??

best regards from Germany

Thorsten Totzke
www.LostLiners.de
www.OceanLiners.de

Hallo Thorsten -

Dave Bryceson's excellent book, "The Titanic Disaster as Reported in the British National Press", contains some information on the Madame Tussaud's figure.

On the 7 May, 1912 the following appeared in the 'Daily Sketch':

An excellent model of Captain Smith, the brave captain of the Titanic, has just been added to Mme Tussaud's Exhibition. Mr John Tussaud has modelled the figure from a 'Daily Sketch' photograph taken on the Titanic shortly before she started on her fatal voyage.

Dave chased this up through Madame Tussaud's, and they informed him that the Captain Smith model was one of a number that were destroyed in a fire in the 1920s (no specific date given). Madame Tussaud's gave permission for Dave to reproduce the only known photograph of the Smith model - he can be seen in the background of a photograph of the figure of the equally ill-fated Antarctic explorer Captain Scott. It appears on pg. 229.

~ Inger

Help is at hand!

Its always useful to possess this title amongst your library THE SILVER JUBILEE BOOK 1910-1935:- The Story of 25 Eventful Years in Pictures. It gives a fascinating story depicting the throne of their majesty's King George V, and Queen Mary.

In fact, I'll give you all a treat by listing the Principal Events of March 1925.

MAR.18. Fire destorys Madame Tussaud's wax-work exhibition.

".19. King and Queen left London to cruise in the Mediterranean.

".20. Death of the Marquess Curzon of Kedleston, English statemans, aged66.

".25. Prince Henry opened London-Southend road.

".28. Cambridge wins the boat race. Prince of Wales left for British West Africa, South Africa, and South America. Death of Lord Rawlinson.

That ends our little history lesson for today.

Best wishes

Andrew W.

Historical figures wax and wane in popularity/levels of interest. Given the number of famous figures Madame Tussauds can select from (well known in history and those more 'of the moment'), I suppose by the 20s both Scott and Smith were superceded by more current interests.

Back