Californian is in Cameron's Titanic

The other day I saw somewhere where Cameron claimed the Californian was indeed in his movie. So, I watched every sinking scene and to my surprise she was there! You can see her foreword masthead light in two scenes on the port side of Titanic. You can only see her light for a second though. It's very fast. However, toward the end, Murdoch looks down the stairs on the boat deck to see water coming up fast. Right after that, you can see Californian's side lights very clearly for a few seconds just starboard of Titanic's bow. Did anyone else ever notice this? Another thing I never noticed til now is you can see Titanic morsing from the lifeboats a few times, and I never noticed that before either.

Michael.

The only allusion I remember in re the Californian/mystery ship (Whatever) was a breif scene where Captain Smith looks at the lights of a ship which is not responding to the rockets. Smith's line in the movie was "God help you." and that was it.

Are you sure you're not seeing the aircraft anti-collision beacons that were on some nearby towers down where the movie was shot? Apparently, they forgot to edit them out of the final print.

Cordialy,
Michael H. Standart

Michael,

The "God Help You Part" was in ANTR. Cameron was quoted somewhere saying he included the Californian in a few scenes but did not mention it. Check out the scene I'm talking about if you have the movie, I'm about 95% sure it's a ship.

Michael Koch.

You can see several cut scenes including a few Californian scenes on the 3 disc set that Cameron put out a while ago. It's called Titanic Explorer (I think). I HIGHLY recommend it.

Mike K.

A year ago this month, when I more or less "saw" the '97 "Titanic" (btw, it met the fate of the USS Bedford in this household, but I digress) I froze the film at the part where the camera pulls back for a panoramic view of the T. as a rocket explodes above her, walked over to the big screen TV, and said "Yoo hoo, Stanley Lord, are you there?" as I looked for the light on the horizon that was claimed to be in the film.
I THINK I might have seen a ship's light on the horizon, but I couldn't be sure.
If the C. was there, she was reduced to a mere scenic detail in the finished production.
Also, I understand only one part regarding the C. was even scripted, and that was the "Shut up, shut up." incident. Is that what's on that CD-ROM?

Richard (I wanna see the deleted scenes from "Saving Private Ryan"!) K.

somewhere i can remember i did saw the californian the first time i saw cameron's titanic! but i can be wrong. what i remember was a scene on the californian, and they saw the rockets but decided not to anwser. or something.... its been a while ago, and i didn't oay much attentiuon to it, so maybe i remember it wrong
does anyone recognize this?

Nienke

Richard,

That scene is the one on the CD-ROM as you say. I didn't see C. on the rocket scene, but that view would have been facing east and not shown very far north where the C. was. Check out the scene where Murdoch notices the water coming up the stairs only a few feet from the deck on the starboard. Right after he notices that, the camera scans just to the right of starboard and you can clearly see her side lights for a second or two.

Nienke,

You are thinking of the scene in "ANTR."

Regards,

Michael.

Sorry to but in - new person here. I thought you might be interested to know (if you didn't already) that a chap called Adam Barker has created a website based upon his role in the Cameron film "Titanic", as the Californian's Marconi operator. His site contains a shooting diary, photographs of the cast, and the script for his ultimately unused scene.

I happened to stumble upon it earlier this month. Apologies if you already knew this, but I thought it was quite pertinant to your discussion.

The address is

(that should be correct, I just pasted it from my address bar thing)

Yours,

Carl
script.jpg

to be honest, i've never heard about "ANTR". so what is is, i heard this name several times here... i don't know much about the titanic yet so that'll probably be the reason i never heard of it.
So that's not where i remember the scene from... i think i've remembered a scene wrong, and it was really a scene on the titanic itself. or something like that....

Nienke

Nienke,

"ANTR" is the 1958 Classic "A Night to Remember" which is believed by most of us to be the most historically accurate movie about the Titanic except for the fact that she went down in 2 or 3 pieces and not 1. There are more than 2 scenes on board the Californian, one of which includes the scene you mentioned.

Regards,

Michael.

Back