The Last Voyage Robert Stack on the Ile De France

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
Hi Mark, yes, it's on Amazon. You might also find a copy at your local library or through inter-library loan if you don't wanna shell out the bucks without seeing it first.

Bob, you seem to have the best photos!
wink.gif
Not only that, but exceptionally rare ones! I think my mother had one of these dolls when she was little. It eventually ended up in the electric In-Sink-Erator newly-installed in her kitchen sink. Apparently, the head caused quite a back-up and flooded the house ~ thus ruining the family's 1920's era antiques. Stupid Tammi!

I noticed that newer reproduction versions of the doll come as TMX with a voice box that says "Drown me, you know you want to", "Hit me, I deserve it", and if you shake the life out of her for too long, the voice will laugh and say "Again, again!". Clearly an idea stolen from the Fisher-Price "Stab-Me-Elmo" dolls. A computer chip with extra phrases for her to say was available for awhile. Only seen on eBay now.

K

Kyle Johnstone

>The film left me to wonder if paneling or art was saved before the ship was sent to the scrapyard-I wonder if >the extensive upgrade Ile de france experienced in the 1950s resulted in the removal of any of her art deco >fittings....

>It would be a travesty if the Ile de france was sent to the scrapyard with all of her art deco oppulance >intact.....

Some furnishings were removed, but no fittings. Like Jim said, her first-class dining room chairs remained, but the tables were removed...
One exception were the stained-glass windows from the chapel, removed at the request of the grandson of the Comtesse Greffulhe, a patron of the arts of the time who presented the windows to the Ile de France. He had the windows installed in the family's village church.

>Were her staterooms fully furnished when she was scrapped, or had they been picked clean, and the contents auctioned off?

The First Class cabins were used to accommodate cast and crew.
LIFE magazine notes that on their free time, they made hunting trips throughout the ship armed with screwdrivers.

Pretty much nothing of the Ile's pre-war interiors were left after her post-war refit.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
It's a little-known fact that Tammi Marihugh was actually older than Dorothy Malone, who played her mother. Tammi began her career as a fairground midget in the late 1930s, and graduated to mainstream cinema as a stunt double for various child actors who were deficient in lung power for a screaming scene. Those who recall the dramatic moment in Gone With the Wind in which Rhett and Scarlett's child is seen hurtling towards and then demolishing a 5-bar gate might recognise Tammi in that scene. The Last Voyage was the pinnacle of her career. Then, after 25 years of almost continuous screaming, her voice broke and she could obtain only non-speaking roles, like the sinister but silent midget in Don't Look Now (1973) and the 'chest-busting' embryo in the Aliens films. This brought her to the notice of James Cameron, who cast her as 'Cal's (silently) crying girl' in the collapsible A scene for Titanic. Tammi retired in 1998 but still occasionally takes on guest roles, and was last seen on screen as an Oompa Loompa in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
Hey Bob, I heard a rumor that Tammi was also drafted early on into playing a Munchkin on the Wizard of Oz set. Don't know if it's true though. Wouldn't that have been difficult since Gone With the Wind was filming at about the same time?

I would have thought a shreiking flying monkey would have been a better placement for her.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
In fact, Jason, Tammi played all the munchkins, thanks to clever split-screen filming techniques. No problem commuting between sets, as she generally got away with travelling half fare on the buses. Her roles are really too numerous to list, but she is probably best known today for her legendary performance as R2-D2.

Jan 7, 2002
Does anyone know the year the Ile De France received her 1950s refit? Were her 3 funnels removed and replaced with a duo of larger ones to make her look more modern, or to open up a boiler casing for new room expansion?
She looked MUCH better as a two stacker...

In the film, its as clear as day where the crew used a torch to cut through the forward funnel, and you can see cables from off camera pulling the funnel over...

K

Kyle Johnstone

Hi Tarn,
Her refit was immediately post-war, and her 2nd maiden voyage was July 21, 1949.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
All of the Normandie artwork, reinstalled aboard IdF was removed prior to scrapping. Anywhere you see those Japanese restaurant style murals was once a piece of Normandie salvage.

Bob, the Tammi Marihugh doll will be the hit of Christmas 2007. One of my favorite pieces of Tammi's acting "technique" as demonstrated in The Last Voyage can be seen in her earlier sequences. When she was given the leeway to 'give vent to her entire range' 6 hours into the running time, she was sublimely irritating but at least animated. In her earlier scenes she was very robotic- wind up doll like- with the tendency to look off to the right or left (to where you KNOW her acting coach was hovering) before registering emotion. Bob Stack says "How about another game?" Tammi looks to the left of the camera, focuses on something, then and smiles before saying "Goody."
(You KNOW that what she focused on was her coach, mouthing the word "Smile" while pointing to his or her mouth) I hope the doll comes with genuine Marihueian Delayed Reaction Emotion.

May 1, 2004
Pacifique du Nord
Jim.... ah, I don't know... Rose saying "Jack Jack Jack Jack Jack" or the little spawn saying "mommy mommy mommy" seems pretty even for me. At least Jack snuffed it at the end of Cameron's movie.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
True enough!

BUT...the actress who read a script with "Jack- this is where we met" and "Take a deep breath, Rose!" and the chained to a pipe sequence, not to mention Molly Brown Providing Jack With A Tux (a slightly~ but ONLY slightly~ better solution than having Jack reach offscreen a la Wile E.Coyote and miraculously pull a well fitting tux into the frame for himself) was an adult, who weighed the pros and cons of working from such a script and made her own choice...

I joke about Tammi Marihugh incessantly, but in truth find her performance(s) depressing. She is the epitome of the over-rehearsed, manufactured, completely unnatural film child. She was quite cute, and also telegenic, but whether it was because of driven stage parents or a bad acting coach (or both) she ended up not just unwatchable, but PAINFULLY unwatchable. One feels guilty at making fun of a seven or eight year old performer who, really, didn't have any choice in the matter....the director said "Now, tear up and say 'Mommy mommy mommy mommy mommy' and she did what she was drilled to do.

Occasionally, one comes across a producer (and/or director) who not only has rapport with child actors but also has the ability to choose child actors who have not been ruined by over-rehearsal. Sherwood Schwartz comes to mind: The Brady kids worked from atrocious scripts but were actually about as top-flight as child actors come, and if you don't believe me think of the boy from the Dick Van Dyke Show, or Mame, as examples of how BAD most of the pool from which Schwartz drew was! Hal Roach as well. I don't see such rapport evident in The Last Voyage, and feel disgust at adults who set a VERY cute but robotic little girl up to be laughed at!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Good points, Jim. The best performances from child actors, of course, are those in which the Director makes minimal demands on their need to deliver a performance at all. Imagine the disastrous effect if young Tammi (or her coach) had been hired for a film like Jeux Interdits or Whistle Down the Wind.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>Imagine the disastrous effect if young Tammi (or her coach) had been hired for a film like Jeux Interdits or Whistle Down the Wind.

Oh, I can! In her Desilu audition film as seen in TV's Turkeys (Rhino Video) Tammi does a reading from The Bad Seed, as Rhoda.

THE LEGENDARY SEVEN: Okay, there have been MANY utterly resistable child actors, from Kirby 'Mame' Furlong, to Patti 'Never Say Goodbye' Brady ( a child actress so loathesome that she could TRULY have been cast as Mary Bell) not to mention he who played "Skippy" on Family Ties. But, few have had the Marihughian ability to utterly destroy an otherwise watchable film or TV series. And so comes "Seven," the worthy successor to Our Tammi. Seven represented one of the few questionable decisions ever made on the extremely underrated comedy Married With Children. In a show that was a deliciously black hearted reflection of family life, the sudden appearance of a Simply Precious Little Boy seemed like a plot twist off of one of the idiot shows Peg insisted on watching....

"Al, look! "Grandmaster and the Gopher!" A master rapper journeys to the center of the earth and RAPS with the mole people! Oh, and Sally Struthers is the queen!"

...and not a plot device worthy of the most cynical sitcom of them all. As bad as the "Seven" character was, so much worse was the actor cast in the part. He fairly DRIPPED with "I'm so cute!" self-satisfaction and, much like Tammi, was unbelievably robotic. Public reaction was swift and negative, and one day Seven went to his room not to be seen again. And, except for a mention on one further episode, in which neighbor Marcy comments, in passing, that Seven has lodged himself in her home and refuses to leave, he was never mentioned again, either...although sharp eyed viewers may have noticed an 'inside joke' about Seven nearly a year after he was written off the show~ there is a milk carton sitting on the Bundy's kitchen table, with Seven on the back panel, presumably as a 'missing.'

In all these cases, one wonders what the producers saw in these baleful children that got lost in translation. And one wonders HOW acting coaches and teachers keep producing these little horrors, and why parents set their kids up for public humiliation.

Status
Not open for further replies.