Unaccounted for survivors

One of my favorite survivors over the years was Rosa Abbott simply because of her elusiveness following the disaster. I remember the excitment and anticipation I felt waiting for the article to be published when she was finally located. This leaves me wondering just how many other survivors vanishd without a trace following the disaster? Does anyone have an estimation?

>>This leaves me wondering just how many other survivors vanishd without a trace following the disaster?<<

Probably quite a few. The bios here on ET tend on the whole to be rather brief, if only because the people who went out on that ship had little interest in fame. The 712 who made it to New York alive were lucky to still have their lives and just wanted to get on with them.

Agreeing with Tim that Phil Gowan would be a good guy to ask since he's done some truly awesome research in this area.

Hi Amanda
You might want to pick up a copy of Brian Ticehurst's book on memorials. You can reach im on this messageboard. The book lists people and where they are buried. Quite a laborous task and he thanks everyone who helped him... Too bad not all researchers are like that. Yes, Bob Bracken worked hard to present all the data regarding Rhoda Abbott in the article on ET and Voyage. He's on vacation, but you can email him through the www.titanicinternationalsociety.org website and he will probably be able to give you an idea of what you are looking for.
Mike

the people who were drowned on the titanic,and their families who suffered especially the crew whose widows and children got no compensation and their relations want to forget about this tragedy,so no one knows their story,in my case my grandmother was given a pension for life as my grandfather was one of five who were both passengers and crew,lionel leonard on the ship,his name was andrew john shannon and is now not just a statistic but owing to my research is now not lost,but remembered as i have named the shannon ulster titanic society after him the first titanic society in n.ireland.
Pat toms president shannon ulster titanic society

Patrick, I can't let this statement go.

"the people who were drowned on the titanic,and their families who suffered especially the crew whose widows and children got no compensation."

Here are the facts in brief.

Dependents of the deceased crew were paid up to 300 pounds under the Workmen's Compensation Act. Most payments were prompt and undisputed.

Dependents of the postal workers were looked after by their employers.

Dependents of the musicians were not looked after, other than by charitable appeals, which raised plenty of money for them.

Dependents of deceased passenger, and those who lost property claimed in the civil courts.

In the USA, payments of up to $50,000 were made in an out of court deal.

In Britain, we know of four 100 pound payments made after White Star was found negligent in a civil court. We know that other claims were made after this, as some claimants in the USA withdrew their US claims so they could claim in Britain. I've never seen the records of these claims, which were settled out of court, as negligence was already proven. The files may have been destroyed, perhaps when Cunard and White Star combined, or merely in a routine cleanup.

Add to this the enormous amounts paid out over many years by the British and American charitable funds and the dependents didn't do all that badly.

You're right there Dave - my grandfather always told me that after the initial few months of terrible poverty immediately following the disaster, the family were better off financially than they'd ever been and this continued for many years, until all the children were independent. As has been mentioned elsewhere, several of them also had apprenticeships paid for by the Relief Fund.

Hi, Arthur Nichols went down on the Titanic but does not appear on any passenger or crew lists. He was married to my grandmother. We know all about his life and his family - he was going to America to visit his sister - but we just don't know his status on board. The correspondence to my grandmother from the White Star Line has long since disappeared, although I remember seeing it as a small child. Any ideas?

Hallo, Mary. There was an A D Nicols working on the ship as a 3rd Class steward. His wife's name was Edith and he had a sister called Jesse, both of whom received help (as dependents) from the Titanic Relief Fund. Do those names fit?

Bob, That's wonderful! His wife was indeed Edith Louise (formerly Cannell - nee King). Not on official crew lists so is the information you have accessible? He had various sisters including Jessie.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks and regards, Mary

Mary, the steward's wife's name was indeed Edith Louise or Louisa (and the sister Jessie Agnes). A D Nichols is listed, but his full name might not have been known until now - many thanks for providing it! Here's his signature, age (34), birthplace (Warwick) and address on the signing-on sheet for 3rd Class 'victualling crew':

121323.jpg

His biography page on ET is here:
https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/biography/2021/

As you can see there's very little known, and this is generally the case with rank & file crew members, but other members here may be able to provide more. I daresay you can tell us a lot more than we can tell you about Arthur and his family, and any information would be appreciated. Do you perhaps have a photograph?

Hi, Further to message above I discounted the A D Nichols shown on the crew lists as being the wrong one. Mine was born in Camberwell in 1866 which is quite different. He and Edith lived in Belvedere, Kent, where Edith was a publican.

Mmmm - that looks okay. Those grave inscriptions match up to the information I have. I can understand why someone would knock 10 years off their age! Can't understand why they would change their place of birth though. Immediately after the sinking Edith reverted to her former married name so perhaps there was an estrangement.

Arthur had 7 sisters, Jessie was the youngest. Although he and Edith only married in 1907 it could be that they were already leading separate lives by 1912. Arthur and Edith had no children but Edith already had a young family. There is still a surviving niece in her 90s in New Zealand but sadly her memories of those early family stories are greatly impaired.

I am curious about this Welfare Fund you mentioned, is there any more pertinent information on there?

Regards

Back