Upcoming Film - "Unsinkable"

Seumas

The Titanic in the News feature on this forum first alerted me to this upcoming film which is still shooting.

"Unsinkable"

Can't say that I've ever heard of any of the films directors, producers or writers, let alone the actors.

Charles Lightoller, Harold Lowe, Fred Fleet, J. Bruce Ismay, Stanley Lord and William Alden Smith will feature in it amongst others.

From what I've read so far it will focus on the American enquiry with flashbacks to the sinking. It looks like it's been shot on a low budget so don't expect any big "set pieces".

Does anyone know anything at all about this film ?

Have any respected historians of the Titanic been recruited to advise on the accuracy of this film ?

Well good luck to them anyway.

We'll all be interested to see the final result I'm sure. After all we may end up being pleasantly surprised !

Anyway, I really hope they don't have Lightoller sounding like David Cameron.

Another article on this film. They have been shooting it for over two years and are still not finished.

Judging from the photographs in the article we have Lifeboat 3 minus the male passengers that were known to have aboard it ..... and picking up people from the water. Would it really have been that hard for them to have looked up the page on Lifeboat 3 on this very website ?

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how Senator Smith is portrayed.

I wonder if they will portray him asking those infamous questions about watertight doors and icebergs that made him the subject of a mocking music hall song in the UK.

Anyway good luck to them.

“the incredible true story of criminal negligence, political interference and heart-wrenching survivor experiences”

I don't dispute the description of "heart wrenching survivor experiences" as being applicable to the Titanic disaster but I think some of the top historians of the disaster might not entirely agree on the "criminal negligence and political interference" angle.

I'll give them some credit for shining a little more light on what happened after the ship sank. Should be interesting to see what their final product is like.

Films - PMI <---- Film company's website.

Hopefully they've enlisted the services of someone who knows the tragedy inside out and who will counsel against any radical departures from history or wild speculations.

I just hope that they are not doing what Julian Fellowes went and did. Namely to decline all offers of help from people who know the subject like the back of their hand (Dr Paul Lee offered his services and got a rather snotty rejection by e-mail), have a quick skim through ANTR, add some cringeworthy national stereotypes and annoying soap opera characters. Dear oh dear.

Seumas:

We are not the target audience. The general public is. Unfortunately, perfect flawless accuracy doesn't sell in a medium geared for entertainment (as Honor and Glory is finding out).

Seumas:

We are not the target audience. The general public is. Unfortunately, perfect flawless accuracy doesn't sell in a medium geared for entertainment (as Honor and Glory is finding out).

I'm perfectly aware that it's not being made purely for a few hundred Titanic enthusiasts thank you.

And I didn't ask for absolute perfect flawless accuracy, that's impossible. No production could ever get all the little, picky things right and there's still so much that's either completely unknown or the subject of conjecture.

But if in a few months time when it's released, the producers are foolish enough to do what Fellowes did and claim that they've got something that's accurate to core, then criticism is perfectly justified.

As it stands I wish them well and am excited to see what they have to offer. Low budget films can offer a much greater depth to a story and the characters that the glitzy, noisy big budget studios can't.

Back