Death of Captain Smith

Hi Alyson,

Titanic International Society also published an article on survivor William Mellors that talks about Smith's end. The article is also on ET

Mike

That's a great link Micheal!
I didn't realized that the titanic had that kind of technolghy, i mean the pushing a button and the severt came up.Did Titanic really have that kind of technolghy back then?

Alyson, White Star's ship had electric bells for summoning stewards from the very beginning of the line in 1871. Look here for an article describing the system on Oceanic I, White Star's first ship.

Mellors was an interesting fellow. His accounts also provide a good deal of detail about the last few minutes before the boat deck went under, which is how I first took notice of him years ago. Bob Bracken's article on him is very good and recommended, and interestingly enough, ties in with and reinforces some things that I discuss in my Captain Smith article.

It is a very plausible theory but I don't think he would've tried to survive. He would've been tried in court for negligence and manslaughter just like the Italian captain of the Costa Concordia is. He knew if he had lived people would want his head. Ismay only got away with it because he was a passenger.

The mystery of Captain Smith

In a search I did found a passenger on the Carpathia said that Captain Smith committed suicide on the bridge and also stated that the gun was torn from his hands, but he was running to the bridge and shot himself through the mouth.

I think bad could he have done it because you never know what might have happened to the captain and also was never recovered his body.

Captain Smith what really happened to him.

I read that many passengers said that Captain Smith was shot and killed on the bridge. A passenger on the Carpathia said the captain committed suicide in Smirh pot command. Bad for so long that I study history of Captain Smith I think he would not be able too because we do not really know what happened to him.

In another story tells that the captain at the time the Titanic sank in the water he was helping people and children by placing them in the water in boats. Too bad he just locked himself in the bridge and stood there by the time the Titanic was sunk.

Back