Mauretania in Bristol

Hello,

I recently visited Bristol, England on 2 June 2005, just to see the "Mauretania" pub.

Please see my photos at http://tinyurl.com/7q856

The woodwork from the Mauretania is all still there, in all it's glory.

The pub is now a hip nightspot, there is a mirrored disco ball hanging from the domed ceiling and mod furnishings throughout.

But the woodwork....Ahhhhh....

The MAURETANIA brass letters which once graced the entrance are gone, to who knows where. The current owners have no idea.

Please enjoy the photos.

Kyle

Dear Kyle,

THANKS! EXCELLENT job and a pleasure to view. Well, at least the place is still "rocking"
happy.gif

Best wishes,
Eric

"The MAURETANIA brass letters which once graced the entrance are gone, to who knows where. The current owners have no idea."

There is a set in custody of Merseyside Maritime Museum. They were on public display at Albert Dock some years ago but have since been returned to store.

Presumably there could be two further sets in existance somewhere. The matter might be further complexed if any lettering was recovered from the breakers of Mauretania II.

Noel

Hello Noel,

I have seen a set of MAURETANIA letters at the Merseyside Maritime Museum, but these were the stern letters from Mauretania II.

At this time they are on display as part of the museum's "Liverpool to New York the Only Way to Cross" exhibit.

Does this complicate the matter further?

Kyle

Back